The pipeline monitoring contract recently awarded to former militant government Ekpemupolo, aka Tompolo, is causing ripples in Delta state as hundreds of Isoko natives, mostly women and youth, began protesting alleged exclusion on Wednesday.

Recall that the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Ltd (NNPCL) recently announced the reassignment of the pipeline security surveillance contract to Tompolo at a cost of N4 billion.

The protesters, who blocked major highways in the Isoko part of the state, insisted that the alleged lockout must be addressed by the federal government or be ready for confrontation.

It took the effort of a combined security team led by men and officers from 63 Brigade, the Nigerian Army, Asaba, to bring the protest, which was already degenerating, under control.

Our correspondent had been informed that the demonstrators had already left at seven in the morning and had barricaded the very busy Ozoro-Kwale-Asaba highway.

Vehicle movements were hampered with used tires, planks and iron drums along the axle to record their grievances about what they believe was the marginalization of Isoko land in surveillance contact.

Read also:  Showmax Releases The First Nigerian Original Limited Series This Month, Diiche

The protesters were armed with yanks at trees and signs with various inscriptions singing solidarity songs and demanding justice and justice from the federal government.

An eyewitness, who pleaded for anonymity, said: “It got to a point where the peaceful protest turned violent and the protesters started to spiral out of control as mobsters had infiltrated their midst to hijack the protest and cause chaos. .

“It was at this point at approximately 11:30 am that the security officers, led by 63 Brigade Officer In Charge of Defense Company in Kwale, Major SO Ibitoye, the Divisional Police Officer (DPO), Ozoro and other security equipment, led the protesters to speak and begged them to get off the highway.”

The call from the security officers, it was gathered, yielded positive results as the protesters dismantled their barricades to restore free flow of traffic on the highway.

As of 1:45 p.m., normalcy had been restored to the area, as residents were able to go about their normal daily activities unimpeded.

Read also:  Shonekan's Interim Government Designed to Fail - Tinubu


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.