An elderly man, Saula Ajayi, has lost his wife and assets worth millions of naira to a gas explosion in Abeokuta, the capital of Ogun state.
Our correspondent learned that the gas explosion took place on Friday from the apartment of one of the tenants and that a bungalow in Ijeja, in the city of Abeokuta, was being razed to the ground.
Ajayi, a resident of the building whose wife died in the incident, said he lost the total sum of N850,000 from the fire.
However, he was not informed of the loss of his wife, who passed out and was rushed to hospital as a result of the fire.
He said: “I just came back from the bank with N500,000 and I had N350,000 at home before, now everything is gone.
“I had lost all my belongings, including two refrigerators, a television, all my documents while I was in the army, clothes and other belongings were all burned.”
Ajayi revealed that he couldn’t take anything from home when the inferno started.
He added that the clothes he put on had been given to him by a neighbor.
An eyewitness, Kola Abolade, told our correspondent that a fire broke out in Ijeja, Abeokuta around 2pm on Friday, while a tenant was cooking on gas.
He added that an elderly woman died in hospital on Monday because the fire prevented her from coming out of a coma.
He said, ‘The whole house has been razed to the ground. A particularly elderly couple was badly affected.
“They lost about a million naira that the Baba had just collected from the cooperative to the fire and all their belongings.
“In fact, the mom who was previously in a coma passed away yesterday (Monday, August 29).”
Attempts to get a response from the state fire department failed because the director of the state fire department, Fatai Adefala, had not answered calls to his phone.
When contacted, the state’s public relations officer Abimbola Oyeyemi said he had not been informed of the incident.