There was confusion and panic Sunday afternoon when suspected cult members killed Sulaimon Lawal, the chairman of the Mile 12 Branch of the Lagos State Park Management Committee, popularly known as Ariku.

Suspected loyalists and colleagues of the murdered transport union member rioted at Owode Elede, Mike 12, Ketu Owode Onirin and other parts of the community, attacking residents and passers-by.

Shops were hastily closed as residents and passers-by rushed in different directions as an armed group of boys suspected of being colleagues of the slain Ariku raged.

The image maker in charge of the state police command, Benjamin Hundeyin, confirmed the killing to the Nigerian Tribune, adding that the late chairman died as a result of a clash between cult groups in the area.


A source who advocated anonymity while speaking to the Nigerian Tribune under the condition of anonymity said Ariku was coming from his home in the Ikorodu area of ​​the state when he was murdered by suspected cult members.

Read also:  Lagos woman set on fire for kidnapping baby dies

The source also added that the death could not be unrelated to the cult clashes between rival cult groups in the area.

It was learned that the late Ariku, who was a former member of the NURTW chairman in the area, was on a motorcycle when he was shot dead.

The source said: “He was the department chair of the Lagos State Park Management Committee at Mile 12. He used to be a member of the NURTW.”

The source added that “He was from Mile 12. He was born and raised there. He was killed in Owode Elede. He was riding a bicycle when he was killed.

“He had two houses. One in Mile 12 and another in Ikorodu. He was on a bicycle coming from Ikorodu to Mile12 when the boys attacked him.”

Hundeyin, a chief inspector of police, told the Nigerian Tribune that “someone has been murdered. I don’t have the details of his identity yet.

Read also:  Insecurity: NILDS charges African parliaments with relevant laws to contain the threat

“We have deployed our personnel there and normality has been restored,” said the police spokesman.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.